On a hot summer day, it’s the ideal drink to satisfy your thirst. It can also be made with pink dragon fruit, which adds a nice color and makes it a fantastic exotic cocktail to serve at pool parties or other social occasions. Pitaya, often known as dragon fruit, comes in two varieties: one with white skin and the other with brilliant magenta skin. The magenta skin is sweeter and more nutritious than the white skin.
As a fruit, dragonfruit has incredible qualities. It’s high in fiber and antioxidants and helps with weight loss. It also contains magnesium, which is essential for bone density, and vitamin C, which improves the immune system. This juice is created using magenta-skinned dragonfruit, and it’s best to drink it shortly after it’s made to get the most out of its flavor.
What is Dragon Fruit?
Tropical fruit with a brilliant red skin and sweet, seed-flecked pulp, dragon fruit, also known as pitahaya or strawberry pear, is a tropical fruit with bright red skin and sweet, seed-flecked flesh. The dragon fruit is a tropical fruit that has recently gained popularity. Though it is famous for its unusual appearance and flavor, data suggests that it may also have health benefits.
Central and South America are home to the dragon fruit. This strange plant is often mistaken for a fruit, but it’s a cactus. Despite its widespread modern distribution, dragon fruit is native to Mexico, Central America, and South America and was introduced to Asia by the French via Vietnam in the early 1800s. The popularity of dragon fruit is growing in the United States, driving higher commercial production. Dragon fruit is now grown throughout Asia, Mexico, Central America, South America, and Israel, among other places.
How to Make Dragon Fruit Juice?
Dragon fruits are super nutritious fruit, and this juice is a perfect way to include dragon fruit in your diet. Dragon fruit juice with step-by-step pictures.
- Dragon Fruit: Dragon fruit has a pleasantly sweet flavor that has been compared to a cross between pear and kiwi, as well as a soft texture akin to ripe kiwi when fully ripe. On the other hand, dragon fruit that isn’t fully ripe has no flavor.
- Sugar: Sugars improve the flavor and texture of many foods, making them more appealing. They also serve as a bulking agent, adding viscosity and extending the shelf life of foods.
- 3 Tablespoon condensed milk
- 4 Pieces of ice cubes
Steps to Follow
- Begin by peeling and slicing the dragon fruits into cubes for this delicious dragon fruit smoothie.
- Then, in a blender jar, combine the chopped dragon fruit, condensed milk, berries such as blueberries, crushed ice, and fresh milk and process for 10 seconds, or until smooth.
- Pour the shake into a glass and serve it with crushed ice.
What are the Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit Juice?
Dragon fruit has many potential health benefits, including:
- It’s rich in antioxidants like flavonoids, phenolic acid, and betacyanin. These natural substances protect your cells from damage by free radicals — molecules that can lead to diseases like cancer and premature aging.
- It’s naturally fat-free and high in fiber. It makes for a good snack because it can help keep you full for longer between meals.
- It may help lower your blood sugar. Researchers say this might be partly because it replaces damaged cells in your pancreas that make insulin, the hormone that helps your body break down sugar. But the studies were done on mice, not people. It’s unclear how much dragon fruit you’d have to eat to get these benefits.
- It contains prebiotics, which are foods that feed the healthy bacteria called probiotics in your gut. Having more prebiotics in your system can improve the balance of good to harmful bacteria in your intestines. Specifically, dragon fruit encourages the growth of the probiotics lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. These and other helpful bacteria can kill disease-causing viruses and bacteria in your gut. They also help digest food.
- It can strengthen your immune system. Dragon fruit is high in vitamin C and other antioxidants, good for your immune system.
- It can boost your iron levels. Iron is essential for moving oxygen through your body and giving you energy, and dragon fruit has iron. And the vitamin C in dragon fruit helps your body take in and use the iron.
How to Eat Dragon Fruit?
Though it may look intimidating, dragon fruit is straightforward to eat.
Here’s how to eat dragon fruit:
- Select a ripe fruit with bright red, evenly colored skin that gives slightly when squeezed.
- Use a sharp knife and cut straight through the fruit, slicing it in half.
- You can use a spoon to eat the fruit out of the skin or peel the skin off and slice the pulp into small pieces.
Ideas for serving dragon fruit:
- Slice it up and eat it as is.
- Chop it into small pieces and top with Greek yogurt and chopped nuts.
- Could you include it in a salad?
Keep the dragon fruit whole at room temperature. If it’s ripe but not ready to eat yet, store it in the refrigerator in a sealed plastic bag for up to a week. Thanks to this procedure, it won’t pick up odors from other foods. Place it in a paper bag with an apple or banana if it’s underripe. The ethylene gas released by those fruits hastens the ripening process. Cut portions can be stored in an airtight container for 2 to 5 days, but the meat should be discarded if it turns dark or mushy.
Ways to use Dragon Fruit
- Add frozen red dragon fruit to a smoothie
- Add sliced or cubes on top of an acai bowl
- Use a melon baller to create spheres and add them to a fruit salad
- Cut into thick slices or large cubes on a skewer and grill
- Add small pieces on top of oatmeal, overnight oats, or yogurt
- Toss into a mango or pineapple salsa
Is Dragon fruit Safe to Consume?
Although studies have shown occasional allergy responses, dragon fruit is typically safe to eat. Swelling of the tongue, hives, and vomiting are some of the symptoms. This type of reaction appears to be highly uncommon. If you consume enough red dragon fruit, your pee may become pink or crimson, and this symptom appears to be more severe than it is. If you consume a lot of beets, the same thing can happen. Once the fruit has passed through your system, your pee should return to its regular hue.
It has a moderately sweet, delicate flavor on the tongue and tastes like an unripe pear. The fruit has a creamy, firm, crisp-to-the-bite texture and is delicious. Unlike many other tropical fruits, the dragon fruit does not have a strong scent.
Dragon fruit is a low-calorie tropical fruit with less sugar and carbohydrates than many other fruits. It may have some health benefits, but further research on humans is needed to confirm this. Overall, dragon fruit is a one-of-a-kind fruit that is delicious and can bring diversity to your diet. The red variety of dragon fruit juice and white pitaya can be used in the same way. Red dragon fruit, commonly known as pitaya fruit, is used to make a simple juice.