If you’ve been wondering how to make shredded chicken tacos, you’ve come to the right place! Here’s a quick guide to help you make shredded chicken tacos at home. This easy-to-make dish will satisfy your appetite whether you’re craving Mexican or American tacos. Besides being delicious, shredded chicken is also incredibly versatile. It can be used as a taco filling, and you can even make a taco soup base with it! Put the shredded chicken into a deep skillet, and add some onion and some broth to create a flavorful, thick soup base. Season it with salt and pepper, and you’re all set!
If you don’t have access to a rotisserie chicken, don’t worry. You can make a shredded chicken from scratch with just one or two chicken breasts. To get started, heat one tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and cook it for about 3 minutes on each side, or until it is golden. After the chicken has finished cooking, add the remaining ingredients, including the tomato paste, and cover it. Simmer for five to six minutes to thicken the sauce and make the chicken tacos.
What are Tacos?
A taco is a popular Mexican dish made up of small corn or wheat tortilla with a filling on top. After that, the tortilla is folded around the filling and eaten with one hand. A taco can be filled with various ingredients, such as beef, pork, chicken, fish, beans, veggies, and cheese, giving it a lot of versatility.
They’re frequently topped with condiments like salsa, guacamole, or sour cream and veggies like lettuce, onion, tomatoes, and chiles. Tacos are a popular type of antojitos, or Mexican street cuisine, famous worldwide.
Burritos, which are generally much more extensive and rolled rather than folded; taquitos, rolled and fried; and chalupas/tostadas, where the tortilla is cooked before filling, are related meals.
How to Make Shredded Chicken Tacos?
Shredded Chicken Tacos are deliciously seasoned and juicy, plus they’re speedy to make! This chicken for tacos dish requires no additional equipment and can be made right on the burner.
A complete list of ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken Breasts: One pound is the perfect amount for this recipe; it should be 3 or 4 breasts, depending on their size. Make sure that you get boneless and skinless chicken for this recipe.
- Onion: It is good to add fresh diced onion to taco. It adds tons of extra flavor plus moisture and some bulk.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic rather than garlic powder is so much more flavorful and aromatic. 2 cloves are the perfect amount, but you can add a bit more.
- Taco Seasonings: To make a taco seasoning with cumin, oregano, and chile, follow the steps in the recipe, or make a batch of my homemade taco seasoning ahead of time so you always have some on hand. Homemade taco seasoning is considerably more flavorful than store-bought, and it contains additional components that make it truly unique.
- Salsa: In this recipe, you can use any jarred salsa. The salsa tomatoes help make a sauce by adding moisture and taste.
- Poach Chicken: Fill a pot halfway with water and add the chicken breasts. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken achieves an internal temperature of 165°F/74°C.
- Shred Chicken: To shred the chicken, place it on a cutting board and use two forks to shred it.
- Make Chicken Taco Sauce: Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the onion until it’s tender and transparent. After that, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Cumin, chili powder, and salt are added. To mix, cook for 1 minute. Cook for a few minutes to warm up the salsa.
- Add Chicken: In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken and the sauce. Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Serve: Serve chicken tacos with your preferred toppings in warmed tortillas or taco shells.
- Cover the Chicken with Water: Ensure that your chicken is completely covered by water while poaching. If not, it will turn out dry.
- Don’t burn the garlic: The garlic only needs to cook for about 30 seconds. Any longer and it can burn, so be ready to add the other ingredients quickly.
- Adjust the heat: Like spicy chicken tacos? Use a hot salsa, or add a few shakes of your favorite hot sauce to the mixture.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe?
You will love this recipe because of:
- Stovetop Meal. There are many ways to make shredded chicken, but we are doing it the most straightforward way, poached right on the stovetop.
- Customizable. Add all of your favorite Tex-Mex toppings to make these pulled chicken tacos your own.
- Flavorful. Chicken breast on its own is bland, and these chicken tacos are jazzed up with salsa, onions, and taco seasonings to make boring chicken fun again.
- Easy to Make Ahead. Do you like to meal prep? This shredded chicken taco filling works perfectly for taco salads or burrito bowls and is delicious as leftovers.
Toppings for Shredded Chicken Tacos
Here are some topping choices for shred chicken tacos:
- Cheese: Shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese, cotija cheese, or your favorite cheese.
- Vegetables: Shredded lettuce or cabbage, fresh tomatoes, onions, and avocado. Make fresh Pica de Gallo salsa for a special treat, or whip up some easy guacamole.
- Something Creamy: Plain sour cream or a homemade Lime Crema adds creaminess and balances any spiciness.
- Citrus: A squeeze of lime or lemon juice can be the perfect finishing touch to your pulled chicken tacos.
What to Serve With Shredded Chicken Tacos?
You can serve all of these dishes with shredded chicken tacos:
Make Burrito Bowls
Instead of tacos, make some Cilantro Lime Rice and Instant Pot Pinto Beans, and use the shredded chicken to make delicious and full bowls.
Chips and Dip
At a Mexican-themed dinner, Tortilla Chips are always a hit! Make some Black Bean Dip, Pineapple Salsa, or Salsa Ranchera for dipping. Try Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips for dessert.
Other Mexican Dishes
Tacos are a great addition to any cuisine! They’re also delicious with stuffed poblano peppers or shrimp ceviche, and you can also serve them with a variety of other Mexican foods.
Even if it isn’t Taco Tuesday, this taco recipe is a terrific choice for midweek dinners! Instead of beef, we use moist, boneless chicken thighs, and the taco filling is made in a slow cooker, so you can prepare it in the morning and have a lovely supper waiting for you when you get home.
Tacos with shredded chicken are a great way to liven up a taco night. And it doesn’t necessitate any more effort! Almost any dish that fits on a tortilla has made its way into a taco, but shredded chicken remains a simple weekday favorite. The chicken stays juicy and flavorful after being poached in a simple broth of onion, garlic, and spices. You may use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, fresh cilantro or chopped jalapeno in the liquid, and a swig of light beer if you have any on hand. Shred the cooked chicken into bite-size pieces and served it in tacos with only pico de gallo.
You can save the stock for later use or boil it until it thickens enough to sprinkle over the meat easy weekday dinner with savory, shredded chicken tacos that the whole family will enjoy creating and eating together! Cook the chicken until it’s fall-apart tender, then season it with flavorful chicken taco seasoning and zesty salsa Roja before serving with your favorite toppings!. The principles aren’t set in stone, but the foolproof procedure ensures a simple building block for tacos and beyond.